Project

in Orion Tasks Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:07 pm
by revandbellman • 13 Posts

This campaign is on again this year, 2013/14.
sorry its taken so long to get this up, but I lost the email when my account was hacked.
The Orion Project web site is now up. Please see:http://www.hposoft.com/Orion/Orion.html

The Project is being coordinated with Dr. John Martin and Dr. Matt Templeton.

The Project focuses on 4 bright stars in Orion, Betelgeuse, Rigel, Mintaka and Alnilam. Other stars may be added in the future. Photometry and spectroscopy of one or more of these stars is requested. Because the stars are bright, they are easy for spectroscopy, but for photometry they can be a challenge. They are ideal for the PIN diode photometers, e.g., SSP-3 and SSP-4. For CCD photometry special techniques will be required. Using a telescope will produce saturated images so just a camera lens on a CCD photometry may work. Defocusing helps. The web site describes some ideas for techniques and provides information for both photometry and spectroscopy.

This is an ongoing Project, low stress. Orion is ideally located for most of the civilized world to observe. It is currently in a favorable position at reasonable hours.

If you are interested in contributing, have suggestion, questions or comments, please contact me.phxjeff@hposoft.com

Jeff Hopkins (HPO)
Hopkins Phoenix Observatory

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

We welcome our newest member: revandbellman
Board Statistics
The forum has 13 topics and 13 posts.

0 members have been online today: